Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day 2008


This has been the 5th Father's Day that I have celebrated as a Dad. Traditionally, on Father's Day we seem to solely focus on appreciating our fathers. Of course, I love my father more than I can express in words and appreciate everthing he has done for me to put me in a position to enjoy the life that I do.

This Father's Day I was particularly struck with the realization on how fortunate I am to BE a father. The Lord has blessed me with the two most wonderful little boys that a father could ever hope for. I know there are times that I have failed, and will continue to fail, as a dad to my sons. However, I am congnizant of the fact that Noah and Luke constantly watch everything that I do...and want to emulate everything that I do. It is both humbling, and scary, to know that two little boys want to be mini versions of their Dad. However, it is exactly what we are suppose to be doing in our daily walk with our Father--constantly striving to be as close to Him as we can possibly be. I have always loved being a dad, but the more years that pass by, the more I realize that being a father is a privilege that comes with a high duty. Last week while on vacation, Renee asked Fred and I if we ever thought in a million years when we were 6th or 7th graders in the youth group at Ridgeway that we would be sitting on the beach with 2 children each ,and a wonderful family some 20 years later. Although I had never really thought about that before, I have to say that I am certainlythrilled with the life that God has given me, and most importantly with the wonderful family and boys that he has give to me to be a father to.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the blog, Billy! Hope you do a better job than me of keeping our updated.

Shannon said...

WOW!!! What wonderful reflections on being a father.

I LOVE your blog by the way.

Jennifer said...

Congnizant and emulate...??? This blog may be too deep for me!! Seriously though, great blog! You do have two wonderful boys and a wonderful wife. It was wonderful getting to spend time with your sweet family last week and see first hand how you guys truly live for Jesus each day!

Elizabeth said...

I just realized you have a blog. I'm really excited to read more about you and your family. I'm glad God is working in your life and continuing to move you as you try to reflect him more. Good post!

Fred and Renee said...

Once again, I had a great time with you guys at the beach. Thanks for letting me join you. And for the record, you are a great dad and I totally fell in love with your boys ( I already loved you and Erica).